Saturday, November 8, 2008

Making Ubuntu a bit more better looking

The one thing that appealed me in UBUNTU was the cool effects when you navigate, move or close a window. The slight wiggle that you get when you drag the windows makes it look a bit flashy. It looks even more flashier on my 19 inch ultra bright display. To make my desktop look a bit more cool, i started out this new journey and started looking at themes and wallpapers for UBUNTU ( my attempt to work with TUX).

After going through various forums and many more other related sites, I discovered that UBUNTU supports something known as desklets. I found two categories gdesklets and adesklets though i am not qualified enough to tell how different are these from each other. However, I chose to go go with adesklets simply because these were written in python and i am python literate. However, understanding these adesklets is still beyond my reach.

One can install it via synaptic package manager quite easily. Once installed i could easily download the various adesklets from here ( you can also do it via the following command sudo adesklets_installer in the terminal window). If you are running UBUNTU Hardy and are running on a 64-bit AMD machine then you will run into issues. It makes me smile, because so far nothing with UBUNTU has gone without me spending some time reading forums ( a lot threads!!). Please have a look at this in case you hit a road block.

You can install a lot of cool looking desklets and use your imagination to create great looking desktops. So let your creative juices flow!!.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat! I have been using Ubuntu for - I can say more than 'a while' now, and I did not know about desklets.

Not sure if it is what I think it is, but I think it would be great if I can customize it to allow me to post titbits into my blog right from my desktop. Even Twitter perhaps. I do not know much about Python scripting, but I do know my Drupal powered blog provides a XML-RPC to connect to it.

But then again, are desklets only for retrieving information and not pushing it?

Deepz said...

Yeah. Af far as i know you can just get information ( like CPU usage, Calender, Climate info, share prices etc.) Maybe if there could be something like you mentioned, that would be interesting.