Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ubuntu 12.04 intial thoughts

I have been a very big fan of UBUNTU and have come to trust this to be the way Linux can really reach desktops for home users and in some cases even office users.  The recent version of this linux debian unfortunately has been a let down in my perspective. Firstly, i don't really appreciate the new wierd interface where i have to type something to find it, i was better off with the earlier Compiz interface where i knew what i was looking for. The worse part however, is the bug in the linux kernel which makes installation on AMD 64 bit Liano APU almost impossible. The flag "nomodeset" needs to be turned "on" to be really able to successfully go through the installation process. Read the following bug post. 

If you did read you would be crying saying that it is for Oneiric and not for the 12.04 LTS version of Ubuntu. The post says that bug has been addressed. However, i have had the problems with my APU and had a hard time installing the os. Even after i managed to install the little devil, it still troubled me with my wireless keyboard always giving me problems selecting the os during boot. It was not just me but several others who suffer from this bug...Read here

I understand that since i barely contribute to the opensource community, i have almost no right to complain. The only time i have really done something is perhaps by reporting a couple of bugs to a xpath libary in perl. However, i have indirectly contributed to it by extensively using only freeware in my workplace and promoting the use of the same. Finally, i think this post will not weigh down upon my conscience. 


No comments: