Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Better Late Than Never!!

I do not know if this is too early for me to pass a judgement, nevertheless i will write this piece.

In my professional career of past 4 odd years, I have worked with many cultures. I have worked with Americans, Germans and finally the good old Indians. I have seen them as counterparts, friends, bosses and customers. It was but natural for me to look at the good and bad parts of these cultures as i came across them.

Here I am just comparing the adherence to time and punctuality that i came across when i interacted with people from other  countries. I have drawn the following conclusion:

"When it comes to punctuality, then Germans are the best and Indians are the worst. More so Indian's do not value anybody else's time apart from their own"

It is very easy to for us to find people who keep grumbling because something did not happen on time or someone did not start or come to a meeting on time...However, they themselves consider being late to a meeting as a status symbol. We Indians seem to have misunderstood the meaning of

 "Better late than Never"

So what we need to do? Some tips are availabe here .

I remember our course teacher at TCS had come up with a new policy. Every late comer was asked to pay a fine of  Rs. 10 and he would collect all the money and donate it in Charity.

If you are wondering what prompted me to write this piece in desperation....It was just to vent out the frustration of having waited for more than one hour for a person in my company only to be told that all i had to do was to write my address on a piece of paper and keep it on his table. This after i met him in the morning when he was relatively free.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why I was not born in Germany!!

@Note: I found a lot of articles online which rubbish the German Punctuality....all i got to say is...Guys try India!!



No comments: