Monday, March 18, 2013

Germany - Here i come

I think it doesn't take a wizard to guess that i have reached new heights of procrastination after seeing my blog timeline. In this year (2013), this would be my first blog; thanks to the fact that i am in Germany and on a 2 week official trip. Here in Germany, since i have most of the evening for myself and if i don't plan to put my culinary skills to test, i usually have the time to do other things like blog.

It is also true that since i don't have anyone with whom i can converse for long, without having to either put my patience or my German speaking skills to test, i find blogging simpler and quicker. This time a few things are for the "first time" for me in Germany although if i do my math right i would have traveled to Germany six times so far.

For starters, i traveled in a plane that really looked like one. I have always traveled by "Air France" so far and that looked typically liked a B-grade bus. Lufthansa on the other hand had large screen TFT displays, provided wonderful in-flight service and best of all the breakfast served was really something to write home about. Second was the Frankfurt airport. The magnanimity of this airport can undermine any international traveler. In-fact the airport is so huge that you have horizontal tracks to carry people from one point to another. Trust me i would have easily covered about two kilometers within the airport just to reach from terminal "A" to terminal "B". This might sound funny, but if you were to carry a load of about 8 Kgs on your back, i am sure you would have a different opinion.

Last but not least, i traveled on a weekday. Needless to say, the plane was packed with non-official travelers (i.e. who were paying from their own pocket). It is also very funny and strange to see that we indians some how have this funny notion that only the US of A is the place to be and if they find a traveller who is not going to this sacred land, he is somehow seen as a second grade. One dude asks "Are you traveling to Dallas?"..I say "no". He says..."Really? i thought all indians in this place will take the connecting to Dallas. Why would you go else where? " I say " I am going to Germany.".  "Ok" says he and walks off as if i would ask him to lend me his Iphone.

The world is funny....and everytime i travel i find it had a new experience to present....My advice...if you got money and time...travel, best way to discover yourself.

2 comments:

PTU said...

Hi Deepz, this is an interesting post. Enjoyed reading it. But, I wanted to clarify one thing here..What made you assume that he saw you "a second grade traveler"? 1)He thought all Indians take connecting flight to Dallas and they don't have business anywhere else. This shows his ignorance. 2)Maybe, he wanted to clarify something viz., fight timings with a person who was traveling to the same destination(Dallas). So, when you told him that you were traveling to Germany, he considered you as "not the right person" to clarify his doubt!

Deepz said...

@PTU >> I fully agree with you...however, was it necessary to say "why you would go anywhere else"...That part i think wasn't necessary.